Sunday, February 17, 2013

Heaven on Earth: Stretching on the Shore

I was all geared up to write about the barre classes I've been taking for the past week, but then I had an incredible experience working out with my mom yesterday. After a full week of barre workouts and dance classes, my body was aching! I really didn't feel like waking up early and driving down South to my mom's neck of the woods for a yoga class on the beach, but I'm so glad I made the extra effort. We stepped out of the car and onto the sandy beach...
"This is heaven on earth!" the yoga teacher exclaimed.
Um, hello natural beauty. To make matters even better, within the first five minutes of sitting on the beach, we saw multiple dolphins leaping out of the water and several sea birds diving into the ocean looking for their morning meal. And check...my day was already made as I absolutely adore dolphins.* 


Natural beauty meets me, another natural beauty...
especially in the early morning hours with dark glowing circles under my eyes.
Stretch Factor
Yoga on the Beach with Sue started much like other yoga classes with focusing on our breathing. I had flashbacks to my primal yoga class where Liz always begins class telling us to breathe deeply in and out through the nose making that ocean sound; it has never felt so natural to make that ocean sound with the waves crashing into the shore right in front of me. We began class sitting cross-legged, which felt effortless to sit up straight as the wind was blowing on my back almost supporting my posture. The class had a slow pace at the beginning as we moved through several stretches, but anyone who lives in a beach town can attest...life just moves slower on the beach. With my achy muscles and my affinity for the glorious sunshine, I just reveled in the deep stretching. 

Shavanasa Factor
As you can already tell by my flowery description, I clearly was feeling relaxed and at peace during this entire yoga class. At one point, I remember arching back into Reverse Warrior 2 and just feeling the sun beating down on my closed eyelids. Along these same lines, it was absolutely stunning to do a sun salutation with the rising sun. When you open your chest and offer your heart up to the universe (I don't usually talk like that, but this is what yoga teachers always seem to be saying), there was just an undeniable spiritual connection with nature underneath the gorgeous blue sky with perfectly placed clouds. These are sensations that can never be fully experienced within the walls of a yoga studio.
I wish I could bring my aspiring and talented photographer mother 
with me to all of my workout adventures!
Support Factor
During one of the spinal twists, I gazed behind us noticing that we were practically on a private beach. Even though it was a gorgeous morning, the only other people out and about were those choosing their own beach workouts. There were volleyball players on a sand court; there were people walking and biking down the strand; there were runners dashing along the shore. What an inspiring ambience between the natural beauty and the invisible support felt from the others who chose to start their day in a similar way. 

Satisfaction Factor
Clearly, I was super satisfied, but you may ask, "Was there anything you didn't like about this experience?!" Not really, but there were some challenging aspects about practicing yoga on the beach. While the wind was helpful in making me sit up straight at times, it definitely provided an element of challenge during any of the poses that require balancing such as Tree Pose or Warrior 3. Thankfully, the sand where we were practicing had just been driven over by a ginormous truck, but again certain balancing poses were difficult with sand underneath your feet rather than a hardwood floor.

What's the deal?
Sue teaches her fantastic beach yoga almost every Saturday in Hermosa Beach (you can sign up on her e-mail listing for exact dates: yogabysue@aol.com). The class lasts between 1 hour and 15 minutes up to 1 hour and a half for only $10! 

A penny for your thoughts...
As you have probably noticed, I'm all about spicing up my yoga routine. Perhaps you don't live in a warm climate and can't take advantage of beautiful sunny days for yoga on the beach in the middle of the winter. Keep your eyes and ears open, though, for other unique places to try out yoga. Maybe you have to wait until the summer, but I've heard of people trying yoga in local parks, in yoga clothing stores, or on the roofs of hotels! 
  • What are other cool places you've tried yoga?
  • What are other active workouts you can try on the beach?
  • What are other workouts that make you one with nature?



*My Aunt Michele still loves to tell this story about my obsession with dolphins...I am blessed with an aunt who loves to travel (and better yet, take us with her on her travels), and she promised each of her nieces and nephews a 16-year-old birthday trip anywhere in the world. Most of them chose to go to some far-off place in Europe, but I was all about the tropical getaway. I chose to go on a Caribbean cruise. When picking out our excursions, I immediately selected "Swimming with Dolphins" in Curacao, which coincidentally was the most expensive excursion. My aunt wasn't so thrilled about the price tag, but I begged, "Aunt Michele, this is a lifelong dream of mine to swim with the dolphins" (ever since I saw the Stefanie and Michelle doing it on Full House). To which she responded, "Jennifer, I've talked with you multiple times a week since you could talk, and I've never heard you mention this so-called 'lifelong dream.'" But Aunt Michele, always wanting to make her nieces and nephews happy, obviously splurged, and we did it! She also learned that when you swim with the dolphins, you don't ride them like a horse :)

The priceless face of a teenage girl living out one of her lifelong dreams circa 2004. Thanks, Aunt Michele! 

4 comments:

  1. I have never done yoga on the beach. I'm about 100% sure I would fall AND get sand in my eyes and have to stop. I have gone running on the beach, and it killed my calves! Yoga sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to start the weekend! Also, wow, stunning photos of the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess Who..it is the infamous Aunt Michele...all I know is that now for the 2nd time in Buff Girls aka Jennifer life I am hearing about her obsession for Dolphins I would have made the trip North to share her moment with the Dolphins on Sat...although it is apparent I am definitely not her inspiration for staying fit but I would have made the effort to go to yoga just to share this special moment with my fabulous niece....Aunt Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this entry, I regret staying home with my children while Frank went to yoga. Then again, I prefer vicarious adventures to actual ones. Your blog (and impressive arm muscles) has inspired me to work out regularly.

    ReplyDelete